Archive Monthly Archives: September 2016

Plumbley Colliery Disaster 16th March 1895.

2

Seldom Seen Engine House is located in Eckington Woods in the heart of The Moss Valley. It is part of the old Plumbley Colliery and was built in the 1870`s by colliery owner John Rhodes. In March 1895 A colliery workman called Alfred Williamson drowned along with three children whilst attempting to save them after falling through the ice on the cooling pond at the side of the engine house. This video tells the story.

Continue reading